I went up to cover a story on a company in Loveland that just unveiled their new hybrid that gets 100mpg. Of course they were still scrambling to get it ready for the next day when I photographed it, so here's what ran:

In contrast, I was next sent to cover a protest that was happening at the court house in Ft. Collins. There was a group of victims' families gathering to protest a hearing that was being held for a sex offender. He was requesting a furlough from jail so that he could tend some property matters and so that he could organize his belongings. He was a psychologist who sexually abused a number of his patients. All of them were mentally disabled in some way. I missed the protest and decided to stay for the hearing so that I could possibly get some photos after in the hallway. It was decided by the judge that he had a couple of weeks to gather letters from family and friends which would prove they couldn't help him while he was in jail. Then they would meet again and decide in July. The families were furious.
After everyone was dismissed, they came out into the hall pacing and visibly upset. I've never been in a situation so intimate yet so removed from the people. So I introduced myself and asked if it was okay for me to take photos and they said yes. The image below is of one of the victims being comforted by a community supporter. The girl being consoled was sexually assaulted by him when she was only 8 years old. It wasn't until it came out during a therapy session 2 years ago that anyone knew. Also, the victim who I will not name did come out publicly. So it would be okay to name her, but I didn't think it was necessary.
This is not the image that we ran. This one has motion blur, but I think I like it best:

No comments:
Post a Comment